How do you attract what you want?
Plenty of books on the Law of Attraction will tell you
“You don’t attract what you want, you attract what you are”
“Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting.”
“We are like magnets – like attract like. You become AND attract what you think.”
The book and the film, The Secret, are full of quotes used by many to try and explain the Law of Attraction but sometimes they get a bit fuzzy around how you attract what you want. If what you are is sad, lonely and poor, is that all your life is going to be? No, you’re supposed to slap a smile on your face, think positive thoughts and think and act like you’re rich and your world will change…just like that????
Yes, I can hear the laughs of disbelief from here, and I don’t blame you for thinking this Law of Attraction idea is sometimes too good to be true. It is hardly surprising that unhappy people grab will at anything they think will make them rich and happy and then are sorely disappointed when it doesn’t work. Oh, dear, that word, work, people want it to be easy, not work at it. On the other hand; if you knew you could attract what you want by a little work and by shifting your focus, well then maybe it would be worth trying? But you do have to try…it makes sense doesn’t it, that if you attract what you are, then maybe you need to change what you are?
How do you change what you are, to attract what you want?
It is simple, but not easy and it does require a certain leap of faith. But, you already have the proof that this works…in your own life. Just stop and think for a moment about the best time in your life, a time when it felt like you could achieve anything. Think of that moment when you felt a surge of happiness and somehow the sun always seemed to shine and good things just “happened”. Even in our darkest days we have all experienced a small ray of sunshine. Maybe it was the moment you held your newborn child for the first time. Or perhaps it was scoring your first touchdown, your first basket, your first award at school. The first time someone told you, “I love you”. These moments, these precious happy thoughts are all in our memories, just waiting to be brought out and waiting to work their magic again.
We all have the capacity for happiness and if what we are is happy, then the rest will follow and you can attract what you want from a starting point of happiness.
How do you become happy to attract what you want?
If you focus on the material things you want then you might get lucky and attract riches, for a while, but they will be short lived and it will ultimately be unsatisfactory. Countless surveys have shown that wealth has less of an impact on happiness than having a true sense of purpose and being of service. Yes, we need money, we have bills to pay, and going on vacation is wonderful…but money of itself does not create happiness as plenty of dissatisfied, unhappy rich people will tell you!
Steps to attract what you want by starting with choosing happiness
- Start with now and stop for a moment to find a happy thought ( it may not give you flying ability but it will lift you spirits).
- Capture that thought in writing so you can re-read it and re-experience that happy moment.
- Now add another happy thought- go create a moment of pleasure that is simple, a walk in the park, look at the awesome colors of fall and marvel at how nature creates a color palette most of us would not dare to wear.
- Resolve to say thank you, and mean it, to at least one person a day.
- Do one kind act for somebody at least once a week – shifting your thoughts to service for others nurtures your soul
- Find one thing to be grateful for each and every day- say it out loud and affirm that gratitude
- Be kind to yourself- let go of past mistakes- earn and move on- hanging onto negative past errors just reinforces negative energy
- De-clutter- yes do some cleaning up! An untidy environment drains you of energy and actually causes more stress than the energy required to tidy it away…
- Sing, dance, paint, do something creative – for at least an hour a week- when we stifle our creativity we starve ourselves of an essential part of human nature- you don’t have to be Van Gogh- you just have to give yourself permission to create.
- Stop thinking about what you don’t have – you’ll just bring more of it into your life. Focus on what you do have and visualize your new life.
To attract what you want you have to start with happiness and being happy with what you are. If you aren’t happy you cannot shift the energy around you to attract the good things in life. We are beings of energy and usually the discord we feel with our lives is because we are out of harmony with the universe. The universe is listening to you, send it the right message.
Listen to my radio show for more advice on how you can attract what you want.